Historical Photo Gallery

The Village of Center City was platted on the site of upper town in 1857 by Anders Swenson. It was the first Swedish settlement in Minnesota. Early settlers traveled up the St. Croix River to Taylors Falls, cut a road through to Chisago Lake and settled there in 1851.

The church was founded in 1854 and the county courthouse was built in 1876. The completion of the NP Railroad in 1881 saw many upper town businesses move to lower town. Between upper and lower town about 12 historic homes overlook North Center Lake.